16 Queen Street,
St. John's, NL
The Cornerstone of George Street

About The Building

Once an exhibition center, a  theatre for special performances & bazaars, a warehouse & a church.

16 Queen Street, The Cornerstone, was built by the Fishermen’s Society as a hall and exhibition centre for fisheries and agriculture produce, but it became a important venue for theatre, special performances and bazaars. It is the oldest surviving theatre in the city and the foundation meeting of the Star of the Sea Society was held in this building.
In 1872, ownership of the hall was transferred to the Roman Catholic Diocese of St. John’s and the building was dedicated as St. Peter’s Church. The upper floor was used as a church for Catholics awaiting the completion of St. Patrick’s Church and the ground floor held a school operated by the Sisters of Mercy.

Hear From Us

Get The Latest

Enjoy free cover*, grab a basket of zinger wings with beer-battered fries, order a beer bucket special, and play free pool all night long. The Cornerstone is the best place to meet a few friends and watch the big game or find an oasis while you’re in from out of town!

*Free cover unavailable for ticketed special events.

Photostream

Gallery

Newly renovated... awesome service!! Relaxin and cheap drinks!! Love it!!

Oh and the BEST beer-battered French fries in town!!!!
Melissa G.

Beautiful woman great staff. Lots of drink and lots of sweet laughs

Awesome sports lounge, great seating area, and impeccably clean washrooms!